"Be an opener of doors for such as come after thee"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, November 15, 2010

I-Safe program for internet Safety

This week I decided to do the alternative activity for internet safety. Yes, that means that I actually listened to about 5 hrs of information and most of it was worth it. I feel like that I have mostly known about this stuff as my middle school and high school have been diligent in teaching about internet safety but it was a great review.  I definitely would recommend this site to parents and students to help them understand what really is out there.  One interesting note, I was talking to someone about the information given during the lessons and the person brought up an interesting point. They asked how hiding your real name, picture and other things would really help when the predators are so tech savvy these days that they can just find you anyway. I thought about it for a minute and then said that when I went to London this summer I was told that the best way to avoid being pickpocketed was to blend in. Yes there is a chance that you may still have issues online or may get pickpocketed but the chances are much lower. Predators always want to go for the easy prey, it is human nature. So, by blending in you are less likely to come to their attention. Yes this means that others must take the fall but at least you are trying to help as many as possible blend in.

No comments:

Post a Comment